Saturday, April 18, 2020

Rest Day

 For the first time, net hospitalizations fell in Connecticut.  Still 1,938 people remain hospitalized.  Another 50 died.

As I've mentioned I follow the patients EMS has brought into our hospital who test positive so I can alert EMS for them to check if they had any exposures.  For the most part now, it seems they are all using their PPE even for cases that may not jump out as COVID.  The most telling barometer of a COVID positive test seems to me is the low oxygen pulse saturation, even more so than fever.  There are also an increasing number of patients being brought in who have already tested positive for COVID, but their breathing has gotten worse to the point they need to come in.

Just about all the patients being hospitalized are old and with comorbidities. Many from nursing homes. I read a note where the doctor mentioned talking to a patient and telling her that due to medical history, if she were to worsen her prognosis would not be good.  She made plans to apply for the no visitor exemption in case that were to happen so that her family could say goodbye. 

The paper says 40% of the corona deaths in Connecticut are nursing home patients.  I am not surprised.  Most of our EMS COVID positive patients are from nursing homes.  The paper had a list of all the nursing homes in the state and the number of cases and fatalities at each.  I was surprised to see how many died in some homes across the state.

Nursing home deaths now make up 40 percent of fatalities from coronavirus in Connecticut as pandemic spreads

Other than a few hours in the office, today was my day off and since it snowed last night and was cold, I spent a good portion of it napping, and then later worked some on cleaning our garage, which is a terrible mess.  I took several loads of clothes to drop in one of those shopping center clothing bins as well as throwing out a bunch of junk into our garbage pails.  I tell my wife if Corona gets us, we need to leave a clean house.  She promised to spend tomorrow in the garage.  We'll see if that happens.  There over a decade's work of junk in there.

She is upstairs on the couch now watching "The Wedding Crashers" and her laughter fills the house.

My middle daughter is sulking in her room because her mother forbid her to visit her boyfriend's house out of Corona fears.  (I would have let her go).

The youngest, not feeling well today, is sleeping on the other living room couch.

I need to be sure to take my melatonin tonight and hope I have a peaceful rest and the tiger does not return.

I work 12 hours on the ambulance in the city tomorrow.