Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Antibodies

 

I wish there was an antibody test for COVID-19 that I could take right now and that it would be accurate.  I wish it would show that I already had COVID-19.  I would go “Yes!  I knew it!  I knew I had it!”  And I would feel a great well of relief.

The problem is those tests are not widely available.  And, surprise, many of the tests are completely bogus.

Dozens of coronavirus antibody tests on the market were never vetted by the FDA, leading to accuracy concerns

I have also read that some people who have had COVID-19 don’t produce antibodies.

SARS-CoV-2 Antibodies Undetectable in Some Recovered Patients

 Also, no one knows how long the antibodies last for.  The antibodies for the corona-caused common cold rarely last more than a couple months.

What Scientists Know About Immunity to the Novel Coronavirus

Anyway, I hope I had it.  I hope I have antibodies.  And I hope neither I or anyone in my family, or my friends, or the world, gets it again.

Dreamer.

Antibody tests could be key to reopening the country. Here's how they work.

Update: 4/21  

Here is a new paper published by the Infectious Disease Society of America about Antibody Testing:

Antibody Testing Primer

Key Takeaway:

The current antibody testing landscape is varied and clinically unverified, and these tests should not be used as the sole test for diagnostic decisions. Further, until more evidence about protective immunity is available, serology results should not be used to make staffing decisions or decisions regarding the need for personal protective equipment.