Tuesday, April 14, 2020

Hypoxia

 Pouring rain and violent wind today in Connecticut.  It almost blew our hospital tent off the mountain.  

I am home now and just finishing up making notifications to EMS services about COVID-positive patients.  Curiously, for the first time, one of the notifications was for a patient I was involved with as a paramedic.  Normally when I work in Hartford, I bring the patients to the two large Hartford Hospitals.  This patient came from a suburban town and wanted to come to the hospital where I work when not being a field medic.  The suburban medic who handed the patient off to my partner and me said the patient was negative for the COVID screening questions, but since she was old and her complaint was shortness of breath even if she didn't look short of breath, I rode it in instead of my BLS partner.  I also put on my yellow gown before I got within six feet of the patient.  I believed her chief complaint was CHF weight gain, but she was hypoxic in the high 80s.  That sign alone -- hypoxia by pulse SAT-- I have seen in too many patients that turned up COVID positive.  And sure enough.  They swabbed her and it came back positive.  You can't be too careful.  As an aside, today was the most EMS notifications I have had to make in one day.  Maybe the wave is getting closer.  I still have a bunch of patients I am monitoring for their test results before notifying EMS or deleting them off my list.

It is only 8:30 and I am getting ready to go to bed.  The daily state COVID results haven't come back in yet.  What a sorry thing my life has become.  Rather than rooting for the Celtics and sitting on the edge of my seat for the fourth quarter action, I sit here waiting for the day's COVID results which usually come by email, as early as 4:30 P.M. and rarely this late.

I am down in the basement again because I got in an argument with my wife.  I accidentally coughed on her.  It just sort of burped out of me before I could cover it.  We already made up after our brief fight.  I guess I am still a little wired.  I used to swim every night and that always relaxed me at night so nothing would bother me.  I'd come out of the pool building and breathe the night air deep into my lungs.  Life was good. 

I am worried I am getting out of shape.  If I was younger, I would be in the mood for a couple of drinks, but they don't seem to do it for me anymore.  They disturb my sleep and make me feel blah the next day.  I just want to go to bed so I can wake up and tomorrow will be today, and hopefully it will be a better one than this one.

On the lighter side:

Nudists told to wear face masks by police

Just checked again.

Damn.  Still no results.

***

Next morning.  Finally got the update.  Everything up.