Sunday, April 26, 2020

A Good Day

 Today was a good day. I went into work for a couple hours and was surprised I only had to make one EMS notification of a COVID-positive patient.

Around noon my daughters and I met another father and his daughter. We hit softballs on a nearby field, all the while complying with the town gathering limit of five people and maintaining social distance of six feet at all times. We had a pitcher, a batter, two outfielders, a shortstop, and two buckets of softballs

It was a beautiful day and played for two hours under a clouless blue sky. The fathers, both in their sixties, played like young men and the girls hit and fielded as if they hadn’t missed the game at all this last month.

In the early evening, after a nap, my daughter and I played basketball in our driveway. This week, a couple whose kids had grown up and moved away, gave my daughter their children's old basketball hoop, so she can shoot baskets everyday and the town can’t take our rim down.

I went to the supermarket and it was nearly empty of people and the shelves were stocked of most items I wanted. While there was no toilet paper and still no flour, I did snag some paper towels, and some pork chops and fresh fish, and got lots of snacks for the girls and me,

Tonight, we watched a movie together, and while it was kind of dumb and a chick flick, the three ladies of the house liked it, and I was just glad to be in their presence.

The day’s stare COVID stats came out and for the first time, hospitalizations were down in all three major counties. There were another 98 deaths, but the deaths are a lagging indicator, and while tragic, I would expect the numbers to go  down in the coming days as it looks like we flattened the curve and are on the downwards side at least of this wave. I also had more good news about a friend of mine who has been hospitalized for several weeks with COVID, and is doing much better and hopefully will be released soon.

I did read a depressing article about how many scientists privately doubt we will ever find a vaccine for the corona virus as we have yet to ever find a vaccine for any corona virus, and that it will be with us forever and we may never develop strong immunity to it. I tried not to dwell on it.

I lived today fully and am thankful for that opportunity.