Thursday, May 07, 2020

Temperature Checks: White Walker

I had my temperature taken seven times yesterday at work on the ambulance.  I had it taken on arrival at work, and then multiple times later on entering health care facilities, including an emergency room.  My highest temperature was 96.8.  Sometimes I ask the testers if they have ever encountered anyone who had a fever and I haven’t found any tester who had said they had.  I have also found the testing to be inconsistent.  Sometimes I get checked on coming in to the ED, sometimes I don’t.  Sometimes responding to a priority one 911 at a nursing home, we get stopped, other times they let us hurtle past.  I don’t mind having my temperature taken.  It really doesn’t take long.  But I do think it is not very accurate. 

At the hospital this morning, I didn’t register.  They tried it at my forehead, my wrist and my neck.  It just read low. Some mornings I come in through a different entrance where they have a fancy machine that reads your body heat.  They laugh when I come through.  Here’s what I look like.

White Walker.  Temp 75.9. The Ice Man Cometh.

***

I found this article interesting.

Are Temperature Checks Effective In Stopping Coronavirus Spread?

I’m not against temperature taking, we just have to recognize its limits.