Thursday, May 21, 2020

Face Shields

 

Our hospital is requiring all clinical workers to not only wear face masks, but also face shields, when interacting with patients.

In the April 29, 2020 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, Dr. Eli Perencevich and his coauthors argue that face shields should be adapted by communities in their containment strategies.  They cite the effectiveness of shields at reducing the spray of respiratory droplets as well their ability to be easily reused.

Moving Personal Protective Equipment Into the Community Face Shields and Containment of COVID-19

I love my face shield.  It goes on easily.  It has protected me from COVID spit and I can clean it easily after each call.  The only issue I have had was the sun beating down on it made me feel quite hot, and I am not certain how this will be in the middle of summer.

Nevertheless, I would encourage all EMS responders to make certain they have face shields whenever encountering a patient, not just for high risk procedures.

Recently a virologist claimed he got the virus through his eyes, and while it may not be as easy to get through your eyes as through your nose or mouth, the American Academy of Ophthalmology has been warning people to be careful about getting in their eyes.  Don't touch your face and don't rub your eyes!

You can catch coronavirus through your eyes. A virologist fears that's how he got it.

Be Safe out there.