Friday, March 22, 2019

Moral Injury

 Check out this powerful You-tube video


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_1PNZdHq6Q&feature=youtu.be

When I see another provider who is burned out, my reaction has always been:

"Get another job.  You have no business doing this kind of work."

Until I saw this video, I never really considered the concept of moral injury.

If a fellow paramedic hurts his back lifting or wrestling with a patient, I would never thing to say, "Get another job.  You don't belong in this work work anymore."

Companies take great precautions to make our work physically safe.  There have been great innovations in stretcher design (when I started we used a two man dead lift), stair chairs, safety nets, and driver safety systems.  And while most services have employee assistance programs, I can't think of any preventative measure routinely taken in EMS to prevent moral burnout.  Long shifts, holdovers, too few cars on the road, 911s holding, order-ins.

Meat in the seat.

There is always a new hiring class to pick up the fallen stethoscopes and take their places on the front lines. 

It is hard to change things overnight.

I am glad there seems to be an awakening ahead.