Friday, March 29, 2019

INSIDE LOOK AT LIFE AS AN EMT

 

I recently participated in a project to describe the daily routine of an EMT to help people considering a career in EMS.  The final product was published this week on the website below.

INSIDE LOOK AT LIFE AS AN EMT

Here is an excerpt:

5:30 AM:

I punch in and checkout my equipment, my house bag which contains my medications, IV and airway supplies, my heart monitor, and then the equipment on the ambulance shelves, while my partner checks the ambulance to see that the siren and emergency lights are working and that we have plenty oxygen to make it through the shift. He also checks the oil and engine fluids.

Then, we sign on with our dispatcher and already there is a 911 call for us. No time for coffee. A 68-year-old woman has been vomiting all night. I feel her forehead she is burning up. Her tongue is also dry and cratered. I give her Zofran for her nausea and IV fluid for her dehydration. We transport her to the hospital.

6:23 AM:

I am writing my PCR (Patient Care Report) on my laptop computer in the hospital EMS room when my pager goes off “Can you clear for a Priority One?” We head out lights and sirens for the report of a person unresponsive in a car. Before we can get there, we are cancelled. It turns out the person was merely sleeping. Dispatch has another call for us. A motor vehicle crash by the highway entrance ramp. Both drivers are out of the car inspecting the damage, which is minor. One driver has arm pain, but refuses to go by ambulance to the hospital. We have him sign a refusal of care, and then clear the scene.

7:04 AM:

Report of another person not responsive. A woman stands by the front door and we can see she is crying as she flags us down....

To read the rest, Click here