Friday, March 09, 2007

JEMS/EMS Today Report #2

First session of the day was on mechanical adjuncts to CPR. Most of the session was about the physiology of CPR, which I am pretty comfortable with. The man teaching the class was a scientfic advisor to the Autopulse (but had no financial interest), and had done the Autopulse study in Richmond, Virginia, which was the one positive Autopulse study. He tried to poke holes in the big multi-center study that was so negative toward the Autopulse that they had to shut the study down because human CPR was proving to be so much better. He said he'd heard that medics in that study used the Autopulse on patients they would have just called dead because they wanted to play with what he said they called “The Geezer Squeezer.” He said a new randomized study on the Autopulse is on the way. He didn’t have much to say on the ResQPOD other than there is the big multi-center trail going on.

The EMS Expo has just opened up. I’m waiting for the crowds to clear some before I venture in. I have my digital camera with me so I will be taking pictures of the interesting things I see and will hope to post them when I get back.

I’ll go to two more afternoon sessions, and then tonight I’m having beers with the bloggers. I’ll head home tomorrow.