Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Bloggers and PodCasters

The night before I left Baltimore, I met up with some bloggers and podcasters at a local sportsbar. It was great to put faces with people.

The meeting was organized by Eric Augustus of EMS Haiku and Dan White of Paramedic Blog. Dan works for alliance medical and is the man behind the AllMed AVC Helmet, which makes him one of my heros. Eric, who contributed an excellent powerpoint to my Capnography for Paramedics web site, is a long time field medic, who writes a great blog that also features some excellent EMS haikus. Check them out.

Also present was my friend Jamie Davis of the MedicCast, and two other podcasters, John Bignell of EMS Live and Rick Russotti of
The Mitigation Journal.

Listening to the three of them talk about podcasting, I felt like I was seeing the future. I am going to check out John and Eric's podcasts. I have been a long time listener of Jamie's. I just download it and listen on the computer while I work. It is an excellent way to get informed about EMS issues. I think EMS companies should take up their own podcasting or make use of these guys to provide continuing ed to crews on the road.

It was a good time and if I go back down to JEMS next year, it will be interesting to see how far podcasting as progressed, not to mention getting caught up again with everyone.

The Medic Cast is doing a live call-in show tonight at 10:00 P.M. Eastern Standard time. Go to the website for instructions on participating. I'm at work tonight, but will try to catch some of it if I can.

***

By the way Jamie posted a nice comment on my Funk post. He writes:

Don't get down. I think it's the time change coupled with a full weekend. I got the same impression of the "Blogerrhea" article and my instant impression is sour grapes. Their magazine comes out monthly, is written months ahead of time, and is already out of date on key issues when it gets into the hands of subscribers.

Blogs are vital, current, personal. They don't represent what an editor thinks the publisher and advertisers will put up with. Blogs aren't the party line. Blogs represent the real EMS, the street EMS, a return to the time of Jim Page's "Magic of 3 AM."

Also, podcasts represent a future, but a future of media alongside blogs. I podcast and blog at the MedicCast because I can't talk that much (my wife might disagree). There are too many articles and studies and comments to be made to do it in a one hour show each week.


Thanks, Jamie.