Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Little Things

 The other day I wrote a post called "Burnout" that was a scathing critique of the working conditions of urban EMS. I sent it to a friend to read before I posted it, and he called me up, and said "Dude, you are crispy." I ended up not hitting Publish, even though I really wanted to. The piece was very well written, full of great metaphors and passion. But,, fortunately, good sense got the better of me (I have a commitment to to try to avoid whining on this blog) and the post remains in my draft folder.

So instead of publishing "Burnout" today, I am publishing "Little Things." Here's two little things that are keeping me going.

I have written before about how much I love my Fort Lewis boots.

New Boots

But better than Fort Lewis boots are Fort Lewis boots with these excellent thick wool socks I have. My feet are so comfortable. I love my thick wool socks. I'm just walking along thinking, man these socks are comfortable! It doesn't get much better than this!

The second thing is my Starbucks coffee thermos. Now I don't go to Starbucks and I don't drink coffee. The mug was a Christmas present. Until recently I was a Diet Cokehead. About two months ago in an attempt to get rid of my cough (likely caused by post nasal drip), I switched to ginger honey tea (which fights against phlegm). I made the switch cold turkey and it went great. Now I have hot ginger honey tea to start my day. In the afternoon, I switch to a cold ginger honey drink. Its awesome and my cough is much improved.

I go to work with my thick wool socks and my thermos of ginger honey tea, and I think, urban EMS life isn't so bad. I think I can make it though another the day. Bring it on.