Thursday, January 25, 2007

Miscellaneous

I read today that SAVED, the TNT paramedic drama, will not be renewed.

TNT Dumps SAVED

Yahoo Report

I bet it will come out in DVD and become a cult classic.

***

I have been trying to call for morphine for all my patients with abdominal pain lately unless they are bleeding. So far I have been getting orders. Yesterday I asked for 5 mg for a patient with a history of undifferentiated abdominal pain. The doctor told me since I didn't know what was causing the pain, I could only give 2 mg, which wasn't enough to do much. It was largely my fault. My patch was a bit meandering and most significantly, I forgot to give the patient's weight -- 100 kg, which probably would have clinched the 5 mg. At least they knew she was in pain and had been started on the narcotic route.

***

I've rewritten my 10 Things Every Paramedic Needs to Know about Capnography handout and have done a lot of work to the site:

Capnography for Paramedics

I am also working on a handout for ED staff, called "What We're Talking About," which I will be passing out at a skills session I am teaching at one of the hospitals to educate them about EMS capnography.

***

My paycheck has been screwed up the last couple weeks, partially my fault as sometimes I forget I have punched in, particularly if I come in early, so after checking my gear I repunch in, and end up getting paid for only an hour, instead of twelve. Anyway, I called the timekeeper lady today -- I've dealt with her a few times in the past and each time I am amazed at how calm and friendly she is, and I always hangup feeling like I've just visted another planet where there exists something called customer service.

I wish I could be like that on all my calls, completely unphased by irate and demanding people, leaving them all dazed with pleasantness.