Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Diamond in the Rough (More Chapters)

I have now posted the first 20 chapters (out of 50) for Diamond in the Rough at the following link.

Diamond in the Rough

I have also attached the following preface:

"This novel is based on a true incident, and grew out of a challenge I gave myself to find out why someone did what they did, and to try to write a story that might explain how someone would come to do such a deed. However, this is a work of fiction and while inspired by a true story, it does not depict nor is is based on any real persons. All of the characters are entirely fictional. Any resemblence to real people is entirely coincidental.

I do have a strong concern about the book, and that is, unless written carefully, it may reflect badly on EMS as a profession. There are characters in this book (particuarly Fred) who do things that I do not obviously endorse. My main character (the narrator), who I hope will be viewed as ultimately symphathetic, will do things that are clearly unacceptable. Because the lead characters are certainly not role models, I am hoping that I will be able to find ways, either through the character's self-realization or by adding a more positive character or two, to at least show how EMS should be.

I also want to caution readers that some of the content is sexually explicit and should not be read by those who are offended by such writing.

I plan to post the entire book on this site, but then only keep it up for a short period of time (perhaps two weeks or a month). I hope to have it all posted by the end of March if not sooner. I expect that I will do at least one additional rewrite after finishing this draft.

Thank you all for reading."

I welcome comments.