Saturday, October 03, 2020

COVID is the Enemy

In the next to last draft of my new book, Killing Season: A Paramedic’s Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Opioid Epidemic, I quoted a former user, as saying “heroin withdrawal is so painful, it hurts to even blink.”  She further said, “Withdrawal is so bad, I wouldn’t even wish it on Donald Trump.”  She clearly was not a supporter of the President or his policies on addiction.  Understandably.

The publisher’s copy editor, suggested I remove the Trump part of the quote, as it might needlessly alienate some, without adding anything to the strength of the story.  He had a good point.   I deleted the quote.

There is an old saying that you don’t talk politics or religion at work (or with friends).  I try to avoid politics, but it is hard in these times to not speak up or let it be known where you stand on the issues of our time.

All that aside, I do not wish any ill harm on Donald Trump.  Having seen the look of fear in too many patients with COVID who could not breathe, I could not wish it on anyone.  COVID is the enemy. I want only for all us, in this country and in the world, to join together to battle this plague, armed with the best science available and goodness in our hearts. 

Please wear your masks, be sensible in the risks you take, and wish health for all.