Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Tired

I taught my first ACLS class today. Well, actually, I was monitored for a class. This is necessary in order to get your instructor’s card. I choose to teach the VT/VFIB class, which I felt was the most challenging.

It is a lot harder in person that I imagined it. I know the subject matter well, but I think part of my problem was I knew too much and tried to spill it all out, instead of sticking to the basics of the algorithm. And of course I went off on a lengthy capnography tangent. I think my monitor probably wished he had a cattle prod to zap me every time I went off track.

The class was doctors and nurses all recerting so they knew a good deal of it anyway. I taught the same station to two groups. Only one person nodded off, but maybe he was just really tired.

I believe I will do much better the next time now that I have had a run through. I’ll stick to the core material, and then have handouts on capnography and some of the new cardiac studies I wanted to share – something they can read on their own time.

**

I have avoided teaching groups for years, preferring individual teaching, but believe I am ready now. I am passionate about the subject matter, and feel my years doing calls have given my some credibility.

Next week I will be giving my capnography lecture to a group of paramedics as part of their service’s training and then later in the week I’ll be doing a skill session on capnography for some ED nurses and staff. Next month I’ll be giving it at the state EMS convention. I am going to try to really hone it so I can say everything I want to say in a simple understandable way. But it never quite comes out the way I plan.

Like I said, maybe in time my group teaching will get better.

**

I am excited that I will soon be getting a new preceptee. I’m not certain who it will be yet, but a couple of the candidates seem to be very sharp. I hope I get someone who really wants to learn, and who will put up with the tangents and not just want to know only want they think they need to know -- someone who will ask a lot of questions -- including ones where I don't know the answer. I want to learn too.