Thursday, July 16, 2009

Chapter 19

Note to readers: Just a reminder this is a work of fiction. Any resemblemence to real people is purely coincidental.

***

It was dark. About three o’clock on a Saturday morning. I was coming home after getting off work when I saw a car pulled off the side of the wooded road. A woman stood outside the car holding a flashlight. I hit my hazards on and parked to protect the car. I got out and walked over. The air smelled of pine needles.

“Lee?” she said.

“Kim? What happened?"

“I was driving and I just lost power. I saw the battery voltage meter start dropping and my lights got dim, and then the car just gave out.”

“It’s probably your alternator. You okay?”

“Yeah, I’m just not thrilled about being broken down. I’ve been trying to call my brother, but he’s not home.”

“You live far from here?”

“Enfield. I was at a party at one of my girlfriend’s house. My kids are with their father this weekend, so at least I don’t have to worry about keeping the sitter late. Still I’m not too happy about this. I know I need a new car but I was hoping I could get another year on this one.”

“If it’s your alternator, it shouldn’t be that much. Let me give it a try.” I tried to start it up, but with no luck.

“Look, you’re in a safe spot here. Why don’t I just give you a ride home? In the morning, I can hit an auto parts store, and it probably won’t take me forty minutes to fix it.”

“Don’t you have to work tomorrow?”

“Not till noon. I just have a couple chores I have to do at the farm. I live just up the road, it shouldn’t be a problem.”

“You need your sleep. I hate to have you drive all that way.”

“It’s not a problem. Unless, of course, you want to bunk with me. I’ve got a pullout couch.”

“Whatever is easist for you. I appreciate any help you can give me.”

“If you don’t mind, that probably would be.”

“Okay.”

“Let’s just get your car a little more off the road, and then we can be on our way.”
She got behind the driver’s wheel, and I pushed it while she steered into a little turnabout just ahead.

It felt strange driving to my place with a woman in the car, and then as we walked up the stairs to my apartment over the barn, I was almost dizzy. I had a small kitchen, a bathroom with shower, and one long room with wood floors and a fireplace. The bed was in the far end, a couch, small TV, a table, and reading chair at the other end. It was clean and I was not embarrassed by it. “You can have the bed,” I said. “There’s fresh sheets on it, and a good wool blanket. I’ll stoke up a fire.”

“I don’t want to set you out.”

“No, you’re my guest. The couch will do for me. You want something to drink?"

“I had a little too much wine at the party. You have some tea?”

“I’ll put some on. If you don’t mind, I’m just going to pop in the shower. I’ve still got the city on me.”

“No, I understand.”

When I came out, she was sitting in front of the fire. I had on a flannel shirt, and gray sweatpants.

“Feeling better?”

“Much.”

“This is nice of you to help me out.”

“You know I’d do anything to help you.”

It came out with more feeling than I intended, and she saw it.

“I made a cup for you, too,” she said.

I took the tea and joined her on the rug. I was suddenly nervous.

“I love a fire,” she said. “I have one at home, but usually only set it at Christmas.”

It had not been my plan, and until a few moments before, I had not even considered it a possibility. But with the heat of the fire on our faces, and the look that was in her eyes and surely in mine, as we looked at each other, I leaned toward her and kissed her mouth that had risen up to meet mine. We said nothing. We kissed each other deeply, and felt each other’s bodies, as we struggled to undress each other. The feel of her skin against mine, her scent was more than I felt I deserved, but I wasn’t pulling away from it. I carried her to the bed and we made love, slowly and without talking. When it was over, we turned on our sides, I had my arm and leg over her, and we looked toward the fire. She took my arm and held it to her small breast. I stayed awake a long time listening to her breathe.

I awoke with the sun in the morning in the same position that I had fallen asleep. It was seven. I eased myself up, put on a pot of coffee, dressed, and went out and did my chores. I could still smell her on my skin. My chest felt full. I felt like a man again. When I came in, she was in the shower. She smiled at me shyly when she came out. Even with her makeup washed off, she looked great.
I was tempted to pick up the phone right then, and call work, and tell them I wouldn’t be in. I thought about just getting her in my truck and driving up to New Hampshire, the White Mountains, climbing Mount Washington, looking down on the world, feeling strong and alive, then finding a mountain cottage, cooking steaks or fresh fish, sleeping with the windows open, breathing the air, feeling her next to me. I went in the bathroom and looked at myself in the mirror. I was in good shape. I had strong shoulders and chest, well-defined arms, and strong abdomen, but the hair on my chest was turning gray. I had deep wrinkles in my forehead, my hair was thinning, my hairline receding. Still looking in the mirror, I felt hopeful that what I was looking at was someone who hadn’t yet given up. Maybe this time, my heart would open up and I could be the kind of man I wanted to be.

She was dressed when I came out. She looked at me uncertainly.

“I guess we should go get your car.”

“I appreciate your helping me.”

“My pleasure.”

I felt awkward. We drove to the auto parts store where I bought a new alternator. We went back to the car. With the battery rested. I was able to start it and drive it back to my house before it died again. It didn’t take me an hour to put in the new alternator. The car started right up.

She gave me a hug, and then we stood facing each other.

“You have a safe day at work,” she said.

“Thank you for last night,” I said.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it.”

“I’d like to see you again like this,” I said.

She smiled. “That’d be nice,” she said. “I’d like that too.”

“Drive careful.”

I stood in the driveway, and watched her back out off, a rising feeling in my chest, when she turned her head back to wave. When she was gone, I went back upstairs and changed into my work clothes.