Sunday, July 01, 2007

Summer Fiction

I haven't written many scene stories lately. Maybe I'm in a rut and have shut down my human vision as I go through the calls. Or maybe the calls just seem repetitive to me. Old folks slip and fall, convalescent home pneumonias, minor MVAs, or if they are trauma room MVAs they are the typical evaluate for mechanism types -- nothing that has really stood out.

The few funny calls I had involved fat patients with large breasts that they weren't afraid to show and I didn't want to write about them because they were sort of typical fat person with large breasts calls and they made the fat person with the large breasts seem sort pathetic, and the only thing more pathetic than a fat person with large breasts story is the person writing to get a laugh about fat people with big breasts.

I did another call that involved a patient who didn't want an IV, but whose heart was going at 200 a minute(which I did write about), and we were trying to convince him to trust us and let us put in an IV, all the while our new employee driver was taking one wrong turn after the other and the patient with the 200 heart rate was trying to tell us the right way to go. I could have written about the new driver getting lost angle, but we've all been there, and I didn't want to pick on someone being there for the first time, although at some point I may write a general post about all the times I've looked up out the side window and wondered what the heck are we doing over in this part of town or crossing the river going the wrong direction. Hey, it happens.

Anyway, in response to some reader comments, I am reposting my novel Diamond in the Rough. I took most of it down awhile back because I was unhappy with it. I remain unhappy with it. While I have received many favorable comments, I have had some negative ones, including from a reader/friend who I respect very much, and that has sort of put a damper on my enthusiasm for it, so I haven't reworked it yet. But for those who read what I had up, here's how it all comes out.

Also available online is my novel Mortal Men, which I have been rewriting and I do feel much better about. My rewrites are not reflected in what it is posted, but I still think it is a good read, and hopefully one day I will have it in a form that I feel is publish worthy.

So while TV shows are showing summer reruns, here's some summer fiction reruns.

Thanks for reading, and I hope to have some new scene stories soon.