Sunday, January 28, 2007

Pub Med

Back at work after four days off. Not much going on -- a diabetic, and two leg pain calls.

Occassionally when short of material, I have been posting about interesting EMS web sites. Today, I'd like to hightlight Pub Med, which is an online database of medical research.

I use it often to research issues of interest to me. Sometimes, I will just type "prehospital" in the search box. The search will list all the latest research involving prehospital issues. You can then click on an article and read the abstract, which describes the research and details the results and conclusions. Unfortunately, the entire article is usually only available by on-line subscription.

I am lucky that one of the hospitals we transport to is a university medical center with an accessible library that has a subscription to all of the journals. A high speed printer spits the articles out for only 7 cents a page.

Typing "prehospital" into the search box today reveals recent research articles about RSI, pelvic fractures, cuffed ET tubes for pedis, strokes, and the role of ALS in out-of-hospital cardiac arrests.