Friday, July 07, 2006

Competencies and Components

A couple months ago I recieved the following letter:

Dear Mr. Canning,

The National Registry of EMTs is forming a committee to help define the essential competencies of paramedic practice. This committee will consist of paramedics from around the country who will participate in a focus group lead by faculty members from The Ohio State University Center on Education and Training for Employment. You have been nominated for this committee by -------.

The meeting will be held in Columbus, OH on July 11-12, 2006. The National Registry will cover all reasonable and customary travel expenses for your participation. There will be no pre-meeting preparation, and minimal post meeting follow-up. We are primarily interested in your experiences as a paramedic and what you feel are the essential components of your job.

If you are interested and able to participate in this important project, please forward me a copy of your current resume and/or a brief summary of your background. If you are selected, I forward more detailed information and instructions on how to make your travel arrangements. I hope you are interested, and I am looking forward to the opportunity to work together.

Sincerely,


Gregg S. Margolis, Ph.D., NREMT-P
Associate Director
National Registry of EMTs


Well, anyway I was selected and am going. I'm not exactly certain what they mean by competencies and components(I'm guessing it has something to do with the scope of practice issue), but I am ready to add my voice.

In addition to the basic stuff, I have three things I think all paramedics should be trained in and should be using as part of their practice.

1) Pain Management
2) Capnography
3) Research Training

I'm not leaving until Monday, and I will give you all a report on how it goes, but in the mean time if anyone has any ideas, send me your comments.

What do you feel are the essential components of your job?